Monday, May 24, 2010

Meditation Challenge: Take it!


My mission: push yoga and meditation into the mainstream, and get you to crave your daily cup of meditation more than a latte. Help me promote the idea that meditation is for everyone and can be incorporated into your daily routine no matter how densely packed your schedule is -- by sharing this blog post with your posse.

Transformation starts with a simple commitment of 5 minutes a day.

I made a quick, unedited, informal video of my fave meditation, the "soft belly." Check it out right here.

Meditation has been shown to improve the EEG of your brain. In 2006, Harvard researchers showed that long-term meditators have bigger brains. Check out the work by Sara Lazar for more info. She looked at 20 meditators who had been meditating regularly for an average 9 years, at least 6 times per week.

If you want another method of meditation that tracks the breath count, click here. In this video, I review some new data on how meditation improves your genes and slows down biological aging. No pharmaceutical has yet to be proven to improve your genes!

I have a very inclusive view of what constitutes meditation. For some, it's a prayer. For others, it's yin yoga (I do this most mornings). Still others enter a meditative state by looking at a beautiful painting or visual image that speaks to them. Broad strokes, folks. The goal is spiritual nourishment, soul food. Calm the crazy, archaic system we call the sympathetic nervous system. Ease out of fight-flight-collapse and into rest-and-digest mode.

I challenge you to commit to 6 meditation sessions over the next week. If you do it, email us here at the Gottfried Center (office at gottfried center dot com) for a special prize.

No comments:

Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.