Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Caffeine Makes Perimenopause & Menopause Worse
Many of you know how much I love Cynthia Gorney's latest synthesis (from the New York Times Magazine last month) of where we are as we face perimenopausal chaos and need to decide whether to take estrogen.
She describes the predictable ebb and flow of estradiol, the main estrogen we make from our teens through mid-40s, and how that predictability comes crashing down into wild, jagged fluctuations in perimenopause. Estradiol has over 400 jobs in your body, so there's a good chance you'll notice by way of increased moodiness, hot flashes, disrupted sleep, low libido, fatigue, achey joints and the like.
Meanwhile, we're cleansing here at the Gottfried Center. We're off caffeine, sugar, alcohol, gluten and dairy. Just wanted to catch you up on some of that bad things that caffeine does to our perimenopausal bods: it lowers estradiol and testosterone. Testosterone is the main hormonal driver of libido and vitality. Caffeine also causes hot flashes and night sweats. Further, in perimenopause, caffeine dramatically increases cardiac reactivity -- meaning your pulse rises, your blood pressure jumps up, and your more jittery than before perimenopause.
Stay off the stuff!
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine on Facebook
- For Those Who Hate to Meditate
- Goddess Mondays
- Raw Oatmeal!
- Meditation Challenge: Take it!
- How's That Thyroid?
- Dr. Amen's Boost Brain, Get the Bod You Want
- Cleansing Our Footprint
- Dr. Sara Gottfried MD on Women & Depression
- Out with the Old, In with the New
- Caffeine Makes Perimenopause & Menopause Worse
- Disengage from Inner Critic (Radio Station KFKD)
- The Eating Guidelines by Geneen Roth
- Cleanse Success Story
- Fantastic Alkalinizing Broth Recipe
- Insomnia in Perimenopause
- Massaged Greens
- Women & Food: Anorexia of the Soul
- Alchemy of Eating
- President's Cancer Panel Boldly Links Environmenta...
- Does Wine Make You Whiney?
- Gottfried Urban Organic Garden
- D4 Group Cleanse: Love Your Liver
- D3 Group Cleanse: What to Eat?
- D2 Cleanse: Mango Breakfast Cobbler
- D2 Cleanse: Inspiration from Ana Forrest & Yoga
- D1 of Group Cleanse: Lessons from Raw Masta
- ▼ May (26)
- ► 2009 (40)
- ► 2008 (24)
- Dr. Sara Gottfried, MD
- I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.