Sunday, April 3, 2011
Plum Awesome: Clean Food in the Bay Area
Who new that a swanky new restaurant recently opened near my integrative medicine office over at 22nd and Broadway in Oakland? Plum, it is. Opened last September by Daniel Patterson of the Coi fame.
Plum is vegan- and gluten-free-friendly. I love that in a restaurant. Menu sings with interesting vegetables in season. Bring it.
We arrived ravenous, my husband, a friend and I. Service was very attentive but painfully slow. A 3-hour dinner? Luxurious but put me past my bedtime.
While cleansing, I don't drink alcohol. I often get a bit sad while dining out at places with exquisite wine lists. But I was in for a super great treat at Plum: they feature hydrosols in eclectic flavors. Their hydrosol is sparkling water with a homeopathic drop of vegetable oil. I got the ginger hydrosol. Made me happy all night to sip it, and I did not miss the wine.
Not surprisingly, Plum features organic, fresh, local. Killer combinations. Here's their mushroom dashi with yuba and tofu.
I ate the broccoli, squid and a salad. Here's the farm egg with farro, brussel sprouts and herbs, David's main course.
We also had grilled broccoli and crazy fresh salad (even had a cute worm in it!). Portions were tiny. Our friend remarked after eating, "Where are we going for dinner? Razan's?"
Here's an older menu for you to look over. My shots of the menu last night didn't turn out.
Sometimes small portions are a good idea. I love to leave a restaurant feeling comfortably sated, 75% full. You? Are there other Bay Area restaurants that you love while staying off gluten, sugar, dairy, caffeine and alcohol?
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine on Facebook
- Royal Hormones
- Do You Hide Behind a Tunic?
- Mumford and Sons Raise My Testosterone!
- Fiber Is the New Sexy
- Take On Your Weight Issues with Mystic Marianne Wi...
- Let Kale Salads Rock Your World
- Glee Over Ghee
- Is Gluten the New Evil?
- Dump the Junk: Reasons to Dump Caffeine
- Meet Your Hormones
- Is That Acrylamide in Your Coffee?
- 5 Burning Questions: Get Your Deep Cleanse On
- Plum Awesome: Clean Food in the Bay Area
- Coffee Hijacks Thyroid Levels
- ▼ April (14)
- ► 2010 (105)
- ► 2009 (40)
- ► 2008 (24)
- Dr. Sara Gottfried, MD
- I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.