Thursday, February 18, 2010
Patch That Leaky Gut
Wanted to post some info on Leaky Gut Syndrome. Here's a start - an informative post by Dr. Leo Galland, MD.
It's a little techy, so thought I'd also post some help understanding the matter from Dr. Andy Weil, MD's website:
Leaky gut syndrome is not generally recognized by conventional physicians, but evidence is accumulating that it is a real condition that affects the lining of the intestines. The theory is that leaky gut syndrome (also called increased intestinal permeability), is the result of damage to the intestinal lining, making it less able to protect the internal environment as well as to filter needed nutrients and other biological substances. As a consequence, some bacteria and their toxins, incompletely digested proteins and fats, and waste not normally absorbed may "leak" out of the intestines into the blood stream. This triggers an autoimmune reaction, which can lead to gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal bloating, excessive gas and cramps, fatigue, food sensitivities, joint pain, skin rashes, and autoimmunity. The cause of this syndrome may be chronic inflammation, food sensitivity, damage from taking large amounts of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), cytotoxic drugs and radiation or certain antibiotics, excessive alcohol consumption, or compromised immunity.
My colleague, pediatrician Sandy Newmark, M.D., who deals with leaky gut syndrome in children, tells me that it isn't clear how many people have this disorder or exactly what problems can be attributed to it. Dr. Newmark says that it has been established that a significant percentage of children with autism have increased intestinal permeability, but it isn't known whether this is a cause or an effect of food sensitivities and an underlying metabolic problem.
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box
Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine on Facebook
- 30-day Joy Practice: Join Me!
- The Big "C" - How to Prevent Aggressively
- Patch That Leaky Gut
- Psychiatric Medications - Effects on Breastfeeding...
- Fantastic Interview with Tias Little
- Happy V-Day: Tantra 101 for Couples
- SSRI Associated with Increased Breast Cancer
- Open to Grace
- Trudie Styler: First Celebrity Cover of YJ
- Rest, Wisdom, Delight
- 10x10: Dr Northrup's Top 10 Women's Health Finding...
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2009 (40)
- ► 2008 (24)
- Dr. Sara Gottfried, MD
- I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.